Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Open letter to Blake Schwarzenbach



When things so sound to good to be true, they usually are. Cliche I know, but it's true.

So I hear you have a new band, that is pretty cool. I even heard you got Aaron Cometbus to play drums, and that you played your first show at a house party in Brooklyn. I just have one thing I need to say to you: You better not break my heart again!
I can remember the last time you did. I was a precocious 14 year old strung out on 24hr Revenge Therapy and putting "Sea Foam Green" on every mixtape I could. You were fronting a little band called Jets to Brazil and slowing it down a bit with a little piano here and there. I was hesitant at first, I will admit, you could even say I was a little scared. I won't deny it, but with such high hopes it was impossible not to be. I finally worked up the nerve to buy Orange Rhyming Dictionary and then it happened: I didn't feel it. There I was sitting in front of my stereo and I couldn't feel it. The music wasn't bad, it was actually pretty good, but I felt not even a percentage of what I had felt when I heard "Want" for the first time. I was broken, but I'm not going to blame you. You didn't owe me anything.
Now I am 22 and I hear about this new band, Thorns of Life, and it sounds like something too good to actually happen. So I watch the videos from your first show expecting to be let down, but hoping to be wrong. Through the static I was supirsed. It sounded fun and I felt a spark.
I might be foolish to open myself up for another heartbreak, to let you again tarnish the mental image I had created of you from scraps of songs and photos, but I am going to.

And you better not let me down.

No comments: